Sunday, December 12, 2010

Welcome ye foreigners who look like natives

Thursday, 9th December, 2010

The time is 11:50am in Sydney and 9:50am in Kuala Lumpur. I have just spent my first night in Malaysia’s capital.

Leafy green concrete jungle? The dichotomy is strange and beautiful.


*Flash back to flight over:
“Thank you for flying with Malaysian Airlines. If you are a foreigner, welcome to our beautiful country, if you are a native then Malaysia welcomes you home.”

Those were our captain’s parting words as we got off the plane at KLIA. I couldn’t help wondering however, how exactly people like me fit into the grand scheme of things- I am part Malaysian, does that mean that Malaysia welcomes me home? I am part foreigner, does that mean that Malaysia is just another destination stamped into my passport?

I think the longer I ponder my status the more confused I become. I suppose it doesn’t matter... For now I’ll be a content tourist pretending for all the world, to be just another native in the streets of KL.

p.s. I haven't had internet for a while so I wrote up my posts, saved them and am just going to post them with the real date at the top. This might make it look a little weird... >__<


p.s. I haven't figured out how to reply to comments yet without resorting to annoying strands of code so I'll reply to any comments for the moment via email.

First day in KL, rainy season and blessedly cool.












Tired after arrival, we grabbed some takeaway from hawker stalls outside... BLOODY HOT FOOD!

3 comments:

  1. Yeah whenever I enter the US the passport officer says, "Welcome home." Wilfully ignoring my 25 year absence, as if sooner or later I'm bound to realise that the US is, after all, the greatest country on Earth & I should go live there. (Maybe I'm reading too much into it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the food looks... un-asian. lol
    amelia, please, no english. i know you avoided the b word.. but it's hidden in there

    ~claire

    p.s. why can't i comment as anonymous!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what's even more confusing for - wait for it - drum roll please -- a sense of belonging or not belonging? (Oww! Don't hit me!) Entering a country using a native passport that claims you're a resident.

    "So, where did you holiday?" asks immigration.

    "Uhhh...." I pause. "This is my holiday."

    Immigration gives me a look that says, "Clearly been flying too long, she has no idea where she is."

    It's good to go back to your roots.

    ReplyDelete